www-community mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Inexpensive Lists
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 03:33:09 GMT
On Thursday 22 July 2004 05:50, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Wednesday, July 21, 2004 4:01 PM -0400 Stefano Mazzocchi
>
> <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
> > I completely disagree with this view.
>
> I don't see why the ASF *has* to support water-cooler conversations.  It
> just doesn't coincide with our mission.  Other people and sites can run
> them individually outside of the ASF - I've no problem with that *at all*.

Excuse me for being naive;

What the content is, that travels over the mailing list can hardly be an issue
for infrastructure@ to bother about. The amount of mails that are generated
here and other so called 'water-cooler conversations' can barely make a dent
in the total number of mails being sent. And if 'one more list' is a big
thing for infrastructure@ then that is a serious thing that needs to be
addressed differently, as ASF will continue to grow substantially over the
coming years.

As for overview of a non-PMC-related mailing list; What is the big deal with
overview, as the subscribers are all ASF committers, and already bound to
respect each other. What is there that can possibly be posted that needs
'oversight'??

It is said that "ASF is ALL about the Community, not about code.", and if you
are to live up to that, you must allow for people to 'socialize' and 'share
experiences' with fellow ASFers in all aspects of life. That fosters a
comradeship and a feeling of being 'part of' a community, not just free labor
to forward a codebase.

Cheers
Niclas
--