www-community mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@apache.org>
Subject patents (was: Inexpensive Lists)
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 07:51:51 GMT
On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:15:18AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Thursday, July 22, 2004 4:54 PM +1000 David Crossley
> <crossley@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >BTW, i thought that Antonio's alert about another potential M$
> >attack was warranted. He seems to care for the ASF as a whole.
> >On which other list is he going to alert us all?
>
> FWIW, the only sensible strategy to software patents is to ignore them
> completely until we get served with a lawsuit.  As much as it might sound
> foolish, it's almost the only way to legally protect ourselves.  -- justin

I'll go one better and state that is the official ASF position, supported
by our legal counsel.

    - Ignore thought-scenarios around patents. Period.

    - Don't violate them if you know about them. But do *nothing* about
      unknown patents.

If we get a suit brought against us, *then* we take action. Until then,
don't go looking for patent violations. That is not our job. It is the job
of the patent owner. Any research on our part *increases* our liability.

Cheers,
-g

--
gstein@apache.org ... ASF Chairman ... http://www.apache.org/