www-community mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Inexpensive Lists
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:36:26 GMT

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Thursday 22 July 2004 05:50, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> --On Wednesday, July 21, 2004 4:01 PM -0400 Stefano Mazzocchi
>>
>> <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
>>> I completely disagree with this view.
>>
>> I don't see why the ASF *has* to support water-cooler conversations.  It
>> just doesn't coincide with our mission.  Other people and sites can run
>> them individually outside of the ASF - I've no problem with that *at all*.
>
> Excuse me for being naive;
>
> What the content is, that travels over the mailing list can hardly be an issue
> for infrastructure@ to bother about. The amount of mails that are generated
> here and other so called 'water-cooler conversations' can barely make a dent
> in the total number of mails being sent. And if 'one more list' is a big
> thing for infrastructure@ then that is a serious thing that needs to be
> addressed differently, as ASF will continue to grow substantially over the
> coming years.
>
> As for overview of a non-PMC-related mailing list; What is the big deal with
> overview, as the subscribers are all ASF committers, and already bound to
> respect each other. What is there that can possibly be posted that needs
> 'oversight'??

Uh, isn't that a bit like asking why we need PMCs to oversee the projects?
After all, the only people who can make changes are the committers, and
they surely all respect each other, right? ;-)

We need to demonstrate legal oversight for the content of the mailing
lists just as much as we do the code in CVS / SVN.

--
Martin Cooper