www-community mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Inexpensive Lists (was: Re: Python anybody?)
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:07:53 GMT
--On Wednesday, July 21, 2004 12:54 PM -0600 "Adam R. B. Jack"
<ajack@trysybase.com> wrote:

> 1) I might've missed a better place to post, I don't think so. I thought
> about it for a while, and this was the best I came up with. So if you know
> of one, then maybe I'm simply clueless, not lazy. Otherwise, here it is.

My take is, "right idea, wrong place."  Not your fault.  I might even
subscribe to such a list.  But, I fail to see what is ASF-specific about a
python-talk list?  It's not, and hence shouldn't be hosted by the ASF.

> 3) The ASF mantra of "it's the community not the technology" really
> dictates a community@ list. I'm sorry if you feel it is a waste, I don't.

That's inaccurate.  A better phrase, "It's the community [around the
technology] not the technology."  community@ serves no place as it has
nothing to do with anything that the ASF does or will ever do.

> 4) "personal soapbox medium" -- GAK! Why would anybody out of diapers
> waste breath on soapboxing? Come on, give the community some credit...

I don't see why the ASF should care about potential MS patent attacks.
That has no place on an ASF-sponsored list.  From my perspective,
community@ is and persists to be a giant waste of time.

(If you are on or know of FoRK, that's a list that laps up pointless
conversations like the one re: patents.)

> I'm just floating this idea. If you and/or others want to kill it, so be
> it. If it go nowhere 'cos of lack of support of the ASF powers that be,
> so be it. Python (for better or worse) is becoming part of ASF, but it is
> less well understood/supported than Java. I was just hoping for a bit of
> help getting some things going...

Again, a list is fine.  I'd just prefer to find someone else to host it:
the ASF isn't the end-all-be-all to all of your hosting needs.  And,
obviously, feel free to invite all of the ASF folks to that list.  -- justin