www-community mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: OASIS
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 12:26:31 GMT
On Jun 27, 2004, at 2:09 PM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> Within the ASF we have a number of projects which deal with formats
> and standards close to OASIS.

This needed not be an all or nothing enterprise.  We could establish a
mailing list who's topic is "OASIS: what's the deal?"   Then we
encourage members or committers to join that list who are already
dealing with OASIS wearing other hats.  Rather than focus on the specs
being writing in they could focus on the rules that govern OASIS.
What's up with that if you show up you vote rule?  How hard is it to
jam a meeting with supporters?  Who's actually on the OASIS board and
how much power to they have?  What are the IP rules and do they work?
After a bit of that kind of discussion we would be a lot better
prepared to think about the risks and benefits from a real ties to
OASIS.

I have liked that the ASF rendezvous the work around functioning code
more than specs.

  - ben