www-community mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Re: Inexpensive Lists (was: Re: Python anybody?)
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:54:50 GMT

From: "Justin Erenkrantz" <justin@erenkrantz.com>
To: <community@apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 12:03 PM
Subject: Re: Inexpensive Lists (was: Re: Python anybody?)

> --On Sunday, July 18, 2004 4:20 PM -0400 Brian McCallister
> <brianm@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > I suspect that if 3 ASF'ers want to discuss a topic via email, and think
> > a mailing list would help, there should be a mechanism to simply have it
> > created, bang. Just my 2 cents =)
>
> Mailing lists without PMC oversight should be treated with extreme
caution.
> Lists without the necessary oversight might expose the ASF to unwanted
> liability.  The ASF isn't a personal soapbox medium: it's meant to
> facilitate collaborative software projects.
>
> For example, this list (community@) is a *horrible* waste of time that
adds
> little value: almost every topic here has a more appropriate list
elsewhere
> in the ASF (or, ideally, outside of the ASF).  But, people seem to use
this
> list as a dumping ground and are often too lazy to think about what the
> 'proper' list is - instead they just post to community@.
>
> Bitter?  Nah.  ;-)  -- justin

Kinda hard for me not to take a few levels of exception to this posting.
But, I don't take exception (I doubt I am the only target nor cause of your
bitterness ;-) I can see your points, I'll try to answer:

1) I might've missed a better place to post, I don't think so. I thought
about it for a while, and this was the best I came up with. So if you know
of one, then maybe I'm simply clueless, not lazy. Otherwise, here it is.

2) I think this list served the purpose for a mail such as this. I don't
think it was a waste of time. I'm looking for help with my project of
interest (Gump) from other folks working in Python (the current language of
that project) and am willing to help other Python folks in return. I think
there is value in that.

3) The ASF mantra of "it's the community not the technology" really dictates
a community@ list. I'm sorry if you feel it is a waste, I don't.

4) "personal soapbox medium" -- GAK! Why would anybody out of diapers waste
breath on soapboxing? Come on, give the community some credit...

The 'lack of PMC oversight/liability' -- I'll leave that to others with more
ASF/OSS experience than I.

I'm just floating this idea. If you and/or others want to kill it, so be it.
If it go nowhere 'cos of lack of support of the ASF powers that be, so be
it. Python (for better or worse) is becoming part of ASF, but it is less
well understood/supported than Java. I was just hoping for a bit of help
getting some things going...

regards,

Adam