www-community mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: CVS and Subversion
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:29:02 GMT

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 07:20, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > 2) Tagging is clumsy. (I may just not be seeing it in the manual). It
> > seems hard to tag a directory and files not in that directory with a tag,
> > or tag a directory without tagging every file in it.
>
> Since a tag is essentially a 'copy' in Subversion, it is near impossible
> to 'tag' a directory without tagging its contents (to do so, you would
> have to copy the directory and then delete all of its contents).  FWIW,
> you can copy a single file into the tags directory--that's essentially
> tagging a file, although it's not typically done that way.
>
> I know of no uses cases for what you're describing... do you have one?

Two of them.

1) Common for a piece of taggable code to inherit something outside of its
directory, usually either a super-build.xml, or a super-project.xml. It's
hard to tag these when you tag the directory. This one is possible, but
quite a pain in SVN. I had to checkout just my releases/ directory, then
do manual copying. I suspect that it wasted diskspace on the server as it
wasn't url-url.

2) I suspect others do this differently, but I've often released things
from Jakarta Commons where we've not included a certain directory or bunch
of files in the release because they're not ready yet. In this case, they
shouldn't be tagged with that release either.

One option here might be to branch the code, then delete from the branch
the things you don't want. As branching and tagging seem to be the same
thing in SVN, I suspect this would work. Process change.

> Subversion has constant time O(1) tagging (copying).  That means that
> you can tag (copy) a tree containing 50,000 files in about 2 seconds.*

Yep, speed is nice. Especially with lots of binaries in there, and the
smaller space on the server too.

> This is one of several areas that Subversion is different from CVS.

Yep. I suspect the solution is to modify the development process when it
has problems, but I think I heard something about subversion supporting a
property-tagging system at some point in the future that would work much
like CVS? This was 3rd hand information, and you'd know better :)

I'm still a newbie to svn, but am generally finding svn a simple change on
the client side.

Hen