www-community mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@asemantics.com>
Subject Re: CVS and Subversion
Date Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:45:55 GMT

On Jun 11, 2004, at 5:33 PM, Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 10:23, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> On Friday 11 June 2004 18:17, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>>
>>> On a positive note; do look at subversion; play with it - and note
>>> that
>>> its modern infrastructure and standard based protocols do allow for
>>> levels of integration previously hard to attain.
>>
>> Another note that noone seems to consider, which I think is fairly
>> important
>> (read annoying);
>>
>> Subversion eats almost all CPU cycles on a 2.4 Linux Kernel, on
>> updates and
>> commits. Often so much that even the mouse is no longer tracking, and
>> always
>> making my entire desktop fairly unresponsive. And for Avalon that
>> means
>> ~1minute on my system (svn up)...
>
> Very interesting... I have never seen that behavior on my system, and
> I've worked with some pretty large repositories too...

For what it is worth on good old Sparc 5 systems and FreeBSD on a normal
486 or a pentium; we're talking 1-2Mbyte of exec for CVS and checkout
times
in the order of a few minutes top's; with SVN we needed to increase the
build
partitions with  some 50 Mbytes and a normal check out on these
underspeced
machines with  SVN can easily take 30-45 minutes for a large tree (say
apache, apr, tomcat, axis and some other bits from a local/private SVN
repository). On something like a pentium 4 I've never noticed the
difference.

But those dated dinosaurs are not exactly the infrastructure's I would
optimize
the ASF's toolchain for.

Dw