www-community mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: CVS and Subversion
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:17:19 GMT
Jim Moore wrote:

>Actually, the "all or nothing" part of the transaction isn't a big deal
>because, as you said, it's very rare that a commit in CVS would fail.
>
>What is VERY cool about the atomic part is that all of your files in the
>commit are part of the same transaction.  With CVS it's a very difficult to
>determine what files were committed together.  Take a look at what the
>cvs-commit email program has to do in order to send out a single email for
>all the files you've committed to see an example, where it has to make a
>bunch of assumptions like "What other files have the same commit message?"
>and "Were they committed at the same time (give or take a few seconds)?"
>Reasonably intelligent changelog reports have the same problem, but they
>have to do that for every file.  Fortunately there are (nasty) perl scripts
>for figuring that kind of thing out, but it's simply a non-issue with SVN.
>If you want to know what other files changed as part of rev 1234 you simply
>ask the server what other files were part of that transaction since it
>handles them all as one unit instead of bunches of seperate ones.  (Another
>place it's nice is that if you have integration between your defect system
>and CVS you have to associate each file and rev back to the defect, whereas
>with SVN you only need to rev number as the files are implicit.)
>
>When I'm in "user" mode, I love the "move/rename keeps history" that Brian
>mentioned and don't really care about atomic/transactional commits.
>However, when I'm doing tools & project administration, that's when the
>transactions really rock.

So, original mail ("atomic commits!") was misleading. It is really more
about "SVN stores transaction log", but not about "atomic commit".
Compare with databases, were transactions are atomic - but once
committed, there is no way (usually) to find out which records were
modified as part of transaction.

Thanks for clarification.

Vadim