www-community mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: CVS and Subversion
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:18:07 GMT
On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 06:13:17PM +0200, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> Cause it actually lives on another machine than the repo (with
> an ocean in between). We tried this however for the toy site
> wleiden.webweaving.org:8080/svn/node-config/ (just 3.5Gb and
> a few thousands commits sofar) and ran into too many puzzles;
> like index.html; ensuring mod_perl did the right thing, etc. Though
> I am sure it is possible.

No, actually it isn't. Too many of the standard Apache modules (such as
mod_autoindex and mod_dir) look directly into the filesystem. We need a
"data store" mechanism in core Apache which those modules can use to query
"filesystem-ish" properties. We've discussed this a number of times on the
httpd developer list.

mod_perl could be used to write some filters to apply to the SVN content,
but some serious work in mod_perl (and possibly core apache) would be
needed for SVN to serve up Perl scripts to mod_perl to execute to generate
the content.

mod_php can't integrate well; the PHP parser actually requires a handle
onto the filesystem, so it isn't possible at this time to pick up scripts
from arbitrary data stores.

So... if you have anything beyond a basic site, you'd need to use Dirk's
suggestion of an auto-checkout (heck, you need it simply for index.html).
Eventually, we'll have better support in core Apache, but don't hold your
breath until then. It might be a while :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/