www-community mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@asemantics.com>
Subject Re: CVS and Subversion
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:15:38 GMT

On Jun 14, 2004, at 6:04 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>
>> On Jun 11, 2004, at 10:35 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>> Brian McCallister wrote:

.. snipped subtle umask magic which needs to fit the
... operational culture of the community.
..
>>> good hint, thanks.
>>>
>> As we had some conflicting requirements we pretty much killed all use
>> of svn over ssh - and forced people to use HTTP/DAV (even on
>> localhost). That  solved 80% of those problems :-)
>
> can you elaborate more on this? [very interested]

Eh not much to elaborate - by removing SSH and direct repo
access/direct accounts - and only allowing a) svn through
apache (and some backup scripts) the whole per-user umask, group access
persm etc goes away - there is just the
user ID of the web server and the uid of hte backup and that is it.
(Though backup and recovery has a bit more
perms than I like (and we get nice certificate based user mngt - which
is really nice as you aint have to keep no
stinking per user secrets).

Dw