www-community mailing list archives

From "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <f...@red-bean.com>
Subject Re: CVS and Subversion
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:20:30 GMT
On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 08:17, Brian McCallister wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2004, at 8:21 AM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> >> 2) How easy is it to migrate an existing CVS repo to subversion?
> >

> > infra has nifty scripts to convert everything including branches and
> > history.
>
> Subversion ships with a cvs2svn script which takes a long time to run,
> but does a pretty good conversion job.

I've spent the month of May substantially rewriting cvs2svn, and
although I'm not done yet, it's already faster--especially on Really
Large multi-gigabyte repositories.

> We used it on a big, hairy, cvs
> repository where I work and it performed flawlessly. Interestingly, it
> attempts to atomize commits by assuming anything in a 5 minute window
> is one commit.

It's not quite that simple...multiple CVS revisions committed in the
same 5 minute window *also* with the same author and the same log
message are treated as as a single Subversion commit (with a few
edge-case exceptions).

-Fitz