www-community mailing list archives

From "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <f...@red-bean.com>
Subject Re: CVS and Subversion
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:48:08 GMT
On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 07:20, Henri Yandell wrote:

> 2) Tagging is clumsy. (I may just not be seeing it in the manual). It
> seems hard to tag a directory and files not in that directory with a tag,
> or tag a directory without tagging every file in it.

Since a tag is essentially a 'copy' in Subversion, it is near impossible
to 'tag' a directory without tagging its contents (to do so, you would
have to copy the directory and then delete all of its contents).  FWIW,
you can copy a single file into the tags directory--that's essentially
tagging a file, although it's not typically done that way.

I know of no uses cases for what you're describing... do you have one?

Subversion has constant time O(1) tagging (copying).  That means that
you can tag (copy) a tree containing 50,000 files in about 2 seconds.*
In CVS, that will take you somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 minutes
since CVS's tagging is O(n).  The same goes for branching.  Oh and this
copy only takes a tiny amount of space in the Subversion repository.

* This is true of URL to URL copies only--if you copy a huge tree to
another location in your working copy, of course, Subversion will have
to take time to copy the files on your filesystem.

This is one of several areas that Subversion is different from CVS.

-Fitz