www-community mailing list archives

From Jim Moore <lo...@mooresoft.net>
Subject Re: CVS and Subversion
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:02:13 GMT
Actually, the "all or nothing" part of the transaction isn't a big deal
because, as you said, it's very rare that a commit in CVS would fail.

What is VERY cool about the atomic part is that all of your files in the
commit are part of the same transaction.  With CVS it's a very difficult to
determine what files were committed together.  Take a look at what the
cvs-commit email program has to do in order to send out a single email for
all the files you've committed to see an example, where it has to make a
bunch of assumptions like "What other files have the same commit message?"
and "Were they committed at the same time (give or take a few seconds)?"
Reasonably intelligent changelog reports have the same problem, but they
have to do that for every file.  Fortunately there are (nasty) perl scripts
for figuring that kind of thing out, but it's simply a non-issue with SVN.
If you want to know what other files changed as part of rev 1234 you simply
ask the server what other files were part of that transaction since it
handles them all as one unit instead of bunches of seperate ones.  (Another
place it's nice is that if you have integration between your defect system
and CVS you have to associate each file and rev back to the defect, whereas
with SVN you only need to rev number as the files are implicit.)

When I'm in "user" mode, I love the "move/rename keeps history" that Brian
mentioned and don't really care about atomic/transactional commits.
However, when I'm doing tools & project administration, that's when the
transactions really rock.

-Jim Moore