www-community mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Opposite of Incubator
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 14:04:04 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At Avalon we have a small problem.
>
> Phoenix has ceased to be actively developed, and an external fork has occurred
> driven by the previous Phoenix developers, called Loom at CodeHaus, and users
> who needs help with Phoenix are directed to the Loom project.
>
> Now, what do we do with the Phoenix codebase in ASF??
>
> GUMP makes this apparent. When changes are made in CVS in projects that
> Phoenix depends on, we will receive Nags. These are of three types;
> 1. Temporary and will disappear by themself.
> 2. Incompatible change in other project, by mistake or un-awareness.
> 3. Permanent Incompatible change. 1.0 -> 2.0
>
> By upgrading Phoenix to these changes, seems fairly meaningless.
>
> Killing the Gump descriptor seems like the most logical thing to do, but that
> would affect projects that depends on it (or other similar cases), James in
> this case, I think.
>
> Should there be a notion of "Compost", "Graveyard" or "Retirement Home" for
> projects that has outlived their community?

There was a lot of discussion about this at the time of the incubator's
birth. It was suggested that anything related to 'death' was a bad idea.

JServ is, for example, in dead from a community point of view, yet many
people use it in production. JServ is now located at archive.apache.org.

If the avalon project feels like discontinuing phoenix, I think you just
require a PMC vote and then require infrastructure to seal the CVS
repository and put it in the archive.

--
Stefano.