www-community mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: ASF use spamassassin?
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2004 03:14:17 GMT
> Hmm. The new machines are right for the work. AFAIK, one of them is
> intended to be used only as mail server.

The new mail server is an IBM xSeries with dual Xeon processors and 2GB RAM.
The old mail server is a dual Pentium III.  Under the current "normal" load,
which includes dealing with spam, I rarely see less than 10% usage.  Often
it will spike to over 50% usage.  I just watched the system get entirely
consumed for a few minutes.  And that is on a Friday night with light load,
and without a major worm

> Instead of being afraid of the load, I think we really need to test it and
> see if the new machines can work with spamassassin or not.

That's already on the docket.

> > There is no reason in wasting precious CPU power for that.

> precious CPU power? I really want to see where we use it.
> From minotaur, right now

minotaur isn't the mail server.  And average isn't te problem.

The problem is when the worms are running.  I've got to chart it out
sometime, but we have been seeing a 4x higher than normal rate of spam for a
while now.  But that is a fraction of what we've seen when things get really
bad, and the mail server is backed up for hours.

Personally, I am in favor of blocking all DHCP pools at the interface, and
not allowing direct connections.  That is one of the lowest cost means of
stopping spambots running on Windows.  If they want to send e-mail, they
should be told to go through their ISP, company server, or get a static IP.

	--- Noel