www-community mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASF use spamassassin?
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2004 16:43:37 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi dijo:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>>Surely we can tune SA to minimise false-positives, especially
>>>since we have the experts themselves at Apache.
>>
>>Being an expert in pattern matching doesn't make you an expert in
>>understanding what is spam or not for somebody.
>

> AFAIK, if anti-spam expert existed, the SPAM problem will be solved years
> ago and this is not the case. People is trying to find the anti-spam
> solution. The progress in the area is good, but nobody found the right
> solution. I personally think the one (or team) who will solve the
> anti-spam problem will be part of the computer history for ever!
>
> Sometime I found you very reluctant to some technologies. Please look
> around and you will find that spamassassin is the best we can have right
> now in anti-spam technology. This is not casuality that many companies are
> building anti-spam product using spamassassin to stop spam around the
> world. Currently, spamassassin is scaning millions of mail per day and is
> sucessful in that:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CommercialProducts
>
> And we (on the ASF) are discusing right not about if will be fine to eat
> our own food. :-(

I didn't say we aren't not going to use it.

I just said that given the size of the email traffic and the variety of
people (almost a thousand) that this move will impact, the ASF
infrastructure team is considering this with great care and, as usual,
doesn't want to rush things, but try to do them right.

Besides, there is no hurry since, as I said, you still do all you want
from your end without impacting everybody else.

--
Stefano.