www-community mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASF use spamassassin?
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2004 07:20:31 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Apr 2004, David Crossley wrote:
>

>>Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>>

>>>David Crossley dijo:

>>>I almost never use my apache.org address and I am getting spam. ...
>>>

>>This is what i was intending to say. Not necessarily because of
>>my use of the apache.org address, but because of spam via address
>>harvesting and spoofing.
>>

>It's just not that hard to figure out why and how.  Go to Google and type
>in your email address and see what comes up.  In the case of
>crossley@apache.org, 149 separate references come up.  In Antonio's case,
>there are 15 hits to his name.  The top hits in both cases come from
>marc.theaimsgroup.com.  So long as the From: line in email mailing
>lists has a valid email address, there will be spam sent to that address.

Sounds like a *contest* to me!  :-)  Can anyone (besides Stefano, who's
in a class by himself :-) beat my 1,540 references for
"craigmcc@apache.org"?  And yes, I get to deal with several hundred
spams per day on this address, above and beyond the spam I get because
I'm moderating a couple of Apache mailing lists.

>One thing that users may not be aware of is that qmail allows them to use
>variants of their addresses - basically they can extend
>username@apache.org with username-anything@apache.org.  Mail to that
>address would be handled with a .qmail-anything file in your home dir on
>minotaur.  You could decide to bitbucket that easily, if you were using
>e.g. antonio-NOSPAM@apache.org or antonion-R3M0V3Me@apache.org or
>something that clearly indicated the idea that it should be stripped out.

That's a pretty clever idea.  Unfortunately, it doesn't help if you
actually respond to questions on our mailing lists, and therefore gets
archived in the "collected addresses" lists of individual user mailboxes
(which is where the virii get it).

Beyond that, I don't think obfuscation would do anything at all to help;
my experience with throwaway addresses tells me that the address
collecting robot that can't read <craigmcc AT apache DOT org> has been
retired for a long time.

>	Brian

Craig