www-community mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: ASF use spamassassin?
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2004 07:08:17 GMT
On Fri, 17 Apr 2004, David Crossley wrote:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> > David Crossley dijo:
> > > I also made a bigger effort to use my apache.org address
> > > for all Apache-related stuff.
> >
> > I almost never use my apache.org address and I am getting spam. ...
>
> This is what i was intending to say. Not necessarily because of
> my use of the apache.org address, but because of spam via address
> harvesting and spoofing.

It's just not that hard to figure out why and how.  Go to Google and type
in your email address and see what comes up.  In the case of
crossley@apache.org, 149 separate references come up.  In Antonio's case,
there are 15 hits to his name.  The top hits in both cases come from
marc.theaimsgroup.com.  So long as the From: line in email mailing
lists has a valid email address, there will be spam sent to that address.

One thing that users may not be aware of is that qmail allows them to use
variants of their addresses - basically they can extend
username@apache.org with username-anything@apache.org.  Mail to that
address would be handled with a .qmail-anything file in your home dir on
minotaur.  You could decide to bitbucket that easily, if you were using
e.g. antonio-NOSPAM@apache.org or antonion-R3M0V3Me@apache.org or
something that clearly indicated the idea that it should be stripped out.

	Brian