www-community mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: Renaming package names
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:38:02 GMT
On 11.03.2004, at 15:36, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> It appears that the product in question includes a copy of the Apache
> license in their documentation. Does this give them the right to
> rename packages an appropriate the software?
>
> My understanding is that the Apache license allows this.

Yes, together with other changes to the code, this would be called a
'Derivative Work' (definition see license) and it is perfectly fine and
allowed by the AL as long as the product in question also conforms to
section 4b of AL2.0:

"You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating
that You changed the files..."

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Erik