www-community mailing list archives

From dav...@dedasys.com (David N. Welton)
Subject Re: Apache should join the open source java discussion
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:01:55 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@4quarters.com> writes:

> Costin had some good suggestions for working deeper - like ensuring
> code here works on the OSS implementations (which is really just a
> form of compatibility testing...)

That seems like something that would be beneficial without a huge
amount of effort, given how much automated testing seems to go into
everything you guys do (again, my impression...).

> The only thing we could do for OSS is to actually do an
> implementation of a JVM for some platform and get it certified,
> which is possible.

>From listening to Tom Tromey at FOSDEM, I think the "standard library"
is really where the OSS guys need the most help, rather than another
JVM.  They also want unencumbered access to specs, too, but you'd have
to talk with them to get a better understanding of what they mean.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/