www-community mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Renaming package names
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:36:38 GMT

I recently received the following from a developer who wishes to remain
anonymous.

<whistle-blowing>
Hi Ceki,

In one of my current projects I have come across some 3rd-party
commercial product, which includes as part of their software-product
Log4J. Nothing against it, however I found, that they have renamed the
package-structure
(from org.apache.log4j to com.COMPANY.org.apache.log4j) - just wanted to
know if this does not violate the Apache Software license?

I find it quite an unethnical practice to hide acknowledgement where
it is really due and wanted to know, if this is something the ASF
would be concerned about.

Let me know your thoughts.

Kind regards,
</whistle-blowing>

It appears that the product in question includes a copy of the Apache
license in their documentation. Does this give them the right to
rename packages an appropriate the software?

My understanding is that the Apache license allows this.

Your comments would be appreciated.

--
Ceki Gülcü