www-community mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Apache should join the open source java discussion
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2004 04:16:32 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> ie: MS can see the forking as a way to break the Java platform. They
> already tried to make it some years ago and failed. But make some harm.
> Even Sun sued them for this.
>
> The scenario is not easy:
>
> If Java is divided, we lose.

I respectfully disagree.  I think (some of) what Microsoft did with Java
was good.   In the long-run it may have hurt Java, but they dropped out
before there were any problems.

Two points:

1. Early on, Microsoft wrote a much better JVM implementation.  The
Microsoft JVM 1.1 was much faster than Sun's win32 implementation at the
time.  I don't see anything wrong with that.

2. IMHO JDirect is better than JNI.  JNI allows for 100% Java purity,
but in the meantime Java is 7 years old, and it's still a huge pain to
use ActiveX components.  Python gets to be as the best glueware tool.  I
don't care about losing to C#... we're losing more ground to Python.

> By doing a potential Java forking, MS can take advantage and make C# win.
> But, if Java is licensed under GPL it will be hard to make an intentional
> fork at all.
>
> My ideas are posted in my too primitive english. I hope the point is clear
> now.

I think they come across well.  I'm just in the camp that more
competition is better, and that's why I like ASF licensing since it
allows for more competition.

--
Serge Knystautas
President