www-community mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Apache should join the open source java discussion
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:16:14 GMT
Something big is stirring in the java world. There's talks between Sun
and IBM about releasing an open source version of java. There's talks
between the linux desktop movers about adopting java as the glue that
binds the major desktop projects together.

Key ASF individuals are joining these discussions, on weblogs and
various discussion forums. But the ASF as a whole is silent.

Apache is one of the biggest open source communities, and the leader of
the pack when it comes to open source java.

I think the Apache community should work together on an open letter to
Sun, IBM, and the rest of the open source community stating our shared
position on the subject. Like Havoc Pennington writes
(http://ometer.com/desktop-language.html), the "Community Should Decide"
and "It's time to start the discussion".

WDYT?

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons