www-community mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Renaming package names
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:10:59 GMT
Nick Chalko wrote:

> Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>

>> In one of my current projects I have come across some 3rd-party
>> commercial product, that they have renamed the
>> package-structure
>> (from org.apache.log4j to com.COMPANY.org.apache.log4j) - just wanted to
>> know if this does not violate the Apache Software license?
>>

> I think bea, does this. It is one way of ensuring that bea will use
> exactly the version of log4j they want without naming/classpath
> confilts. I think it is fine as long as the NOTICE with attribution to
> the ASF is left.

java (unlike c#) does not have a versioning concept for classes so many
people are resulting in changing package names to do exactly that and
make sure that you don't trigger class cast exceptions during classloading.

[cocoon is currently voting about doing the same on the other side,
changing the name of the rhino packages to avoid collision with rhino
shipped with weblogic and websphere]

also, keep in mind that there is nothing in the license that stops
people from changing package names.

You could think that the use of the name "apache" and "log4j" in the
package name would be considered abusive, but this would result in them
changing the name entirely and this would not solve any issue.

In short: if they give credits, they are in good faith, if not, no
matter what they do with the software, they are abusive... but package
name change should not be considered abusive as such, but rather a
necessity that arised out of java internal limitations.

--
Stefano.