www-community mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject RE: Apache should join the open source java discussion
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2004 01:10:11 GMT
Noel J. Bergman dijo:
>> A GPL-ed Java would be Microsoft's biggest nightmare. Any extensions
>> that
>> Microsoft makes will have to be made available with source code and
>> under
>> the GPL
>
> That just means that the player with the biggest marketshare can drive
> everyone else in a direction, even if they don't want to go.

Yep. The 95% of And I think we already are witness of some cases.ie: The
browser war. Now, they are installing the .NET on each machine. And what
about Java? If the ASF adopt an pasive attitude, I foresee a death of Java
in favor of C#. This also means the death of J2EE in favor of .NET. Then
the worse can happen even for the ASF.

>  And if they do things that impinge on their own patents, the GPL
> says that you cannot use their code, even though it is under the GPL.

This means MS cannot do fork by using own patents and redistribute without
breaking the GPL license, this is the poison pill, right? ;-)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.