www-community mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: Apache should join the open source java discussion
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:46:16 GMT
Brian McCallister dijo:
> On Mar 18, 2004, at 9:49 AM, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>>
>> I have just a question: If Java goes GPL (as suggested by many opinion
>> writters), it can clash with the ASF license? I remember discussions
>> about
>> the "viral" nature of (L)GPL in Java language. Then if Java goes
>> (L)GPL it
>> will "infect" the java code in the ASF? I think we think about this.
>> Please comments about it.
>
> FWIW I hope if it a JVM is open sourced it isn't licensed on a .*GPL
> license -- and looking at the major vendors in a position to do this, I
> think it is pretty unlikely to happen that way. A BSD/ASL style license
> just works better for everyone potentially involved.

If you read the open letters there is clear they suggest an full GPL
license, because if not maybe it can end (intentionally) in a fork.
Forking the competence is a long know way to win a battle. The UNIX
history is a good example of how a BSD-style licence can end forking and
no-one is the winner.

> I don't think the JVM being GPL'ed would matter to java apps as long as
> the apps didn't make use of features specific to that JVM. The standard
> library would be the same.

:-) Interesing enough, please read the concerns described in the Java
section in http://ometer.com/desktop-language.html

> I believe the Gnome people want an
> implementation open sourced (and to their credit seem to be working on
> one), the spec is probably safely in the hands of the JCP (though Sun's
> veto power in the JCP may be a sore point for some people).
>
> FWIW -- I would love to see Sun/IBM/BEA make a proposal to the
> Incubator to donate a JVM and standard library implementation =)
>
> -Brian
>
> ps: Sun's JVM is already open source, just not free according to the
> FSF, et. al. You can grab the source, build it, use it -- just not
> redistribute it etc. You can even distribute patches -- FreeBSD does
> this now.

Not sure, here is the OpenSource def I already know:

http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

There the 1st point is about Free Redistribution. This is what we cannot
have in the Sun case.

I am +1 on a AL license in case of other products, but never in the case
of the Java VM. There is too much to risk, even for people than don't like
the GPL license. I think a GPL Java VM is the best choice to avoid
(intentional) forking.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.