www-community mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: Apache should join the open source java discussion
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:49:31 GMT
Leo Simons dijo:
> Something big is stirring in the java world. There's talks between Sun
> and IBM about releasing an open source version of java. There's talks
> between the linux desktop movers about adopting java as the glue that
> binds the major desktop projects together.
>
> Key ASF individuals are joining these discussions, on weblogs and
> various discussion forums. But the ASF as a whole is silent.
>
> Apache is one of the biggest open source communities, and the leader of
> the pack when it comes to open source java.
>
> I think the Apache community should work together on an open letter to
> Sun, IBM, and the rest of the open source community stating our shared
> position on the subject. Like Havoc Pennington writes
> (http://ometer.com/desktop-language.html), the "Community Should Decide"
> and "It's time to start the discussion".
>
> WDYT?

I read it yesterday and have the same feeling as you. A quote:

<quote>
Is Java an Alternative?

Java has broad industry acceptance, historically driven by Sun and IBM;
it's by far the most-used platform in embedded and on the UNIX/Linux
enterprise server. At the moment, it's more widely used on the web than
.NET. It's the obvious default given the UNIX tradition of the open source
community - have a look at the strength and volume of Java technology at
Apache.org.
</quote>

I think our position is bright about Java as THE OPTION and same as you I
think the ASF must do a open letter about this issue.

As a collateral effect, an open letter will bring more people to review
the Java stuff in ASF. It cannot harm us after all. I also remember the
issue about Sun and Tomcat certification many months ago.

As a friend (Federico Heinz -
http://www.gnu.org/people/speakers.html#Heinz) told me 3 years ago: "Sun
often comes late of what is the best to do, but at the end it does what is
right". But in this race I think we can act as a catalyzer.

I have just a question: If Java goes GPL (as suggested by many opinion
writters), it can clash with the ASF license? I remember discussions about
the "viral" nature of (L)GPL in Java language. Then if Java goes (L)GPL it
will "infect" the java code in the ASF? I think we think about this.
Please comments about it.

At the end, if a vote if needed here, I am +1 for an open letter from the
ASF. :-D

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo