www-community mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Subversion 1.0
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:02:39 GMT
> what's the checklist of TODOs to handle before dumping CVS?

I'm in favor of migration, but have all of the client tools caught up?  Have
the Eclipse plug-ins caught up with current Eclipse?

FWIW, there are projects already using it, including:

  - James jSieve
  - Depot
  - Directory
  - SpamAssassin
  - Commons serf
  - Xerces-p

and every project that *has* switch raves about how great it is to be freed
of the problems of CVS.  Other projects have talked about using it, but
despite the clear benefits, even to their specific needs, they are afraid of
the unknown.

> Huge improvements over CVS asside, I'd much rather use tools
> built on top of [Apache] software.  The dogfood has arrived,
> time for chow.

Is SVN being proposed for Incubation?  I hadn't heard.

Sounds like Fitz is working to get out the last kinks in cvs2svn.py, which
will be a good thing.

Joshua Slive wrote:

> And a few security issues.  This was discussed a while back on
> infrastructure, but I don't remember all the details.

Probably lack of HTTPS, which has since been corrected.

> we currently don't have a good way of managing the users and
> passwords for SVN/DAV access.

Just run svnpasswd.

	--- Noel