www-community mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: ASF Board Summary for January 21, 2004
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 22:42:37 GMT

> if you wish to legally use the software in any country
> with treaty relations with the US, you continue to be licensed
> the software
> (it doesn't become owned by you) according to a legal agreement.  That
> agreement happens to be our license.

Its slightly more subtle than that..
Theres a good article on groklaw (but I can't find a link)

Basically most commercial software "licences" are technically "contracts" into which you enter,
and must agree to comply in order to do so.

A true copyright licence is one sided, it grants you permission to copy, but only if you don't
break any of the conditions attached.

As you have no right to copy at all, you (the user) rely on the licence to prove that you
aren't acting illegaly, if you break the terms of the licence you can no longer prove that
you are allowed to copy the software.

In other words by default under international copyright law you are not allowed to copy our
software. We grant you a licence to do so, the very act of copying makes you rely on the licence
to stay within the law, it is not necessary for you to read it or agree to it, it is enforcable
anyway.

d.