www-community mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Violation of ASF license, how to resolve?
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:21:44 GMT
Hi all,

I found out that my county is publicly distributing tax software which
includes ASF software (FOP, xalan, xerces, logj4) but without including
the required license. See http://www.vaudtax.vd.ch/ (but it's all in
french obviously). As it's tax time around here, they already have
distributed many copies.

I have contacted them informally about it and promptly got a call from
the company who developed the software, the person with whom I talked
says they recognize the problem and are willing to include the license
in new releases of their software (notice in the about box +
license.txt along the installed jar files).

I cannot speak for the ASF on legal matters, but personally I don't
think legal action is appropriate as they have immediately reacted in
the right way, so in my view a "fair compensation" in terms of fixing
the problem + public notices would be ok.

In addition to fixing the problem in a new release of their software,
my suggestion would be for them to include a visible notice on the main
web page where the software is found, with a link to a page that
explains the situation (and apologies to the ASF?).

WDYT?

--
   Bertrand Delacretaz
   independent consultant, Lausanne, Switzerland