www-community mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: Violation of ASF license, how to resolve?
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:54:15 GMT

On Feb 24, 2004, at 3:21 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> I cannot speak for the ASF on legal matters, but personally I don't
> think legal action is appropriate as they have immediately reacted in
> the right way, so in my view a "fair compensation" in terms of fixing
> the problem + public notices would be ok.

Resolving these things in a friendly fashion is always best -
especially when there is no intentional violation and little
or no harm is done.

If you need a formal hand - just ask - but in general what we do in
these cases is to write a gentle letter; get a dialoge going, point out
the license and then help the other party to come into compliance. The
key aspect of this is helping and educating.

> In addition to fixing the problem in a new release of their software,
> my suggestion would be for them to include a visible notice on the
> main web page where the software is found, with a link to a page that
> explains the situation (and apologies to the ASF?).

That would be a nice thing to do - and if they feel really really
guilty - we are always open for donations, patches, bugfixes or some
lovely french translations of doc's - but first I would focus on
ensuring that going  forward the issue is resolved; the last thing we
want is getting bug-reports about  *their* app from the  tax-payers of
CH in our bug tracker :-) due to such a link.

Dw
--
Dirk-WIllem van Gulik, President of the ASF.