www-community mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: Violation of ASF license, how to resolve?
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:53:02 GMT
Le Mardi, 24 fév 2004, à 16:54 Europe/Zurich, Dirk-Willem van Gulik a
écrit :
> ...If you need a formal hand - just ask - but in general what we do in
> these cases is to write a gentle letter; get a dialoge going, point
> out the license and then help the other party to come into compliance.
> The key aspect of this is helping and educating...

Certainly. The dialogue is going, with a friendly phone call with
someone from the company who wrote the software. Totally ok about
educating.

Would the foundation write such a letter, or do you want me to do it?
If so I'd post the key points here before writing.

>> In addition to fixing the problem in a new release of their software,
>> my suggestion would be for them to include a visible notice on the
>> main web page where the software is found, with a link to a page that
>> explains the situation (and apologies to the ASF?).
>
> That would be a nice thing to do - and if they feel really really
> guilty - we are always open for donations, patches, bugfixes or some
> lovely french translations of doc's - but first I would focus on
> ensuring that going  forward the issue is resolved; the last thing we
> want is getting bug-reports about  *their* app from the  tax-payers of
> CH in our bug tracker :-) due to such a link...

You're right about the link, so maybe we should just ask for a notice
on their website indicating that ASF software has been redistributed
without the required licences, and that this will be fixed in the next
release?

I'd also add a note about contributions and bug fixes in the letter,
bug this goes more for the company who developed the software than for
the county who's only distributing it.

-Bertrand