www-community mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Single Location for syndicated Apache blogs
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 23:49:40 GMT
It is a good idea.  That being said the author of Blojsom
(http://blojsom.sourceforge.net/index.html) is a rabid ASL/BSD license
freak.  The structure of Blojsom is such that it could possibly be sticky
glue for other technologies, meaning writing a Cocoon plugin for it
shouldn't be too hard.

It is possible that he'd be willing to undergo the water torture and
pickling process that is the incubator.  It already has a very active
community.  Its probably bordering on becoming a "standard" just because
Roller tends to take Blojsom's code.

Secondly, it is *simple*, file-based and borders on moronically simple (like
bloxsom).

Lastly, it seems like http://blojsom.sourceforge.net/plugins/index.html
someone could write a subversion plugin and then you could even use it to
hold the content.

Having this form of aggregate project news is a pretty sensible step.  It
also reduces some of the overhead in constructing the "Apache Newsletter",
increases the chance that our release/project news will be syndicated across
the web and other various benefits.

Lastly, I can vouch for the performance.  I was slashdotted awhile back and
blojsom lived.  At the same time, the radio and roller blogs which were also
slashdotted went down.  In fact, my server CPU usage never topped 10% above
normal (and my server is a PIII-733mhz running Linux!) and the site stayed
responsive.  Its only slightly more overhead than html so hardware is really
not a concern.

-Andy
--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.