www-community mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: Single Location for syndicated Apache blogs
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:50:47 GMT

On Jan 8, 2004, at 12:40 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> Ok, I'm quite happy to register and host planetapache.org; whether or
>> not we want to point it at minotaur is more or less irrelevant I
>> think,
>> but I'm open to argument either way.
>
> :-)
>
> Personally, a useful application of this technology would be to provide
> projects with a means to publish news in a format that we could
> aggregate on
> the site, and perhaps make use of for the newsletter.  A blog and
> content
> syndicator for use as an internal ASF news service would be a good
> thing.
> At least two projects, WS (http://ws.apache.org/blog/) and POI
> (http://nagoya.apache.org/poi/news/), already have project blogs,
> although
> using different technologies.  I would certainly support project blogs
> using
> some standard technology.
>
> I'd like to see us eat our own dogfood, and encourage projects to
> contribute
> that way.  We could see what projects like Cocoon/Lenya,
> Jetspeed/WSRP4J,
> etc., might offer in combining their technologies in some manner.

Um, there's lots of standard technology for blogs.  None of it was
invented here.  I suggested and volunteered to work on something that
would let us *catch up* to what (supposedly slow moving) Debian, KDE,
et al are doing.  I did not volunteer to be a guinea pig for another
let's (re)invent a CMS project.

If we want to do that in the background, that's fine.  We can switch
over when something is working, but I want to have something that works
today.  We've already been through this with Velocity, StyleBook,
Cocoon, and Forrest.   The xml.apache.org site was a slow moving dog
because we kept waiting for a CMS system to get done.

Ted