www-community mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject RE: Single Location for syndicated Apache blogs
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:35:19 GMT
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> We have so far voted to not create an ASF blog because we do not want the
> perception of the ASF approving the content of the blogs.  This does not
> seem any different to me.  I understand that some people feel that we are
> just "syndicating" content from elsewhere, but that is a difference with
> little distinction in the mind of the reader.

I missed out on that vote, but FWIW, I have no problem with an aggregator,
or even a hosted blogger for ASF committers; it's at the same level as
http://www.apache.org/~committer/.  Disclaimers suffice.  No policing
needed, though if someone posts another example from www.goatse.cx, I
think the infrastructure@ team reserves the right to step in.

But pulling back, perhaps a way to address Noel's concern is to have this
aggregator only pull content from the RSS feeds that the blogger marks as
somehow being Apache-related.  RSS allows arbitrary metadata, right?  Is
there an easy way to mark a post in most blogger tools as "Apache-related"
or something?  That way someone can rant on and on about their favorite
political subject in their blog, but meanwhile only their Apache-related
posts get aggregated at the ASF's site.

	Brian