www-community mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Who decides who is 'worthy' for Planet Apache?
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:21:17 GMT

El jueves, 22 ener, 2004, a las 17:04 Europe/Madrid, Adam R. B. Jack
escribió:

>> What was in that feed? I missed it.
>
>     From config.ini:
>
>     #[http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/index.rss]
>     #name = Jakarta Gump
>     #face = http://gui.apache.org/images/apache_feather_bullet.gif
>
> See also: http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/index.html
>
>> How would an automated feed be in
>> any way like the rest of what's on ApachePlanet?
>
> It isn't. From the responses so far, I guess I missed the point of
> PlanetApache. There is a time and a place for random musing on random
> topics
> by random (loosly connected) folks, I think the title of this site just
> confused me... ;-)
>
>> "Recall also, that planet isn't an apache project, it is Thom's pet
> project."
>
> Ok, fair enough, so be it. I was hoping to "come play" also, with some
> content that I felt might be of interest to Apache folks. I am curious
> about
> software interacting w/ humans/communities via microcontent, but
> apparently
> that is out in left field for this endeavour.

The gump feed could hardly be called "microcontent". It was rather
content spam.

Just when they removed it, I was thinking about a suggestion: write a
small filter that would "compress" a whole RSS into just one RSS entry,
for gump-like feeds. I do the suggestion now, for similar unbalances.

OTOH, feel free to steal the code of Thom and Ted and organize your own
"trueplanetapache", "constellationapache", whatever