www-community mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Who decides who is 'worthy' for Planet Apache?
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:26:47 GMT
IIRTC (bottom): Thom May removed the Jakarta Gump entry stating "This really
is not what planet is about". Now Thom might be correct, it is an opinion,
but I don't recall a debate on the worthiness of Gump, nor on exactly
what/whom Planet Apache is meant to be for.

Is Planet Apache somehow about his travel experiences
[http://blog.clearairturbulence.org/blog/life/funwithmaps.html] (not bad,
hardly Magellan ;), but not about the health of inter-relationships of
Apache projects? Interesting. Sure, Gump is an automated feed, but is it so
inappropriate?

So, now what? Do I just add it back, or what? Maybe Planet Apache needs some
PMC control...

FWIIW: My observation is that Planet Apache is (at best) going to be only a
small percentage on Apache (even on OSS) topics, and it will be highly
verbose, and with high noise content ... it is the nature of that sort of
simple aggregation. [I'd like to see some form of categories utilized, so it
could filter on stuff that said it was Apache related, but I don't see that
as likely, if even technically available across tools/feeds.] I see Planet
Apache (as it stands today) as a way to get a flavour of an author, who has
some association w/ Apache, to see if I wish to add them to my own
aggregator or not. As such, I see no harm in Jakarta Gump participating.
Gump at least only ever talks about Apache stuff...

regards,

Adam

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/planet/config.ini

    Revision 1.32 - (download), view (text) (markup) (annotate) - [selected]
    Wed Jan 21 13:29:44 2004 UTC (25 hours, 33 minutes ago) by thommay
    Changes since 1.31: +3 -3 lines
    Diff to previous 1.31 (colored)
    This really is not what planet is about
--