www-community mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Policy for Jakarta Wiki(s)
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:01:36 GMT
*snip* (I don't care to discuss everything privately on the infrastructure
list so we can agree to disagree -- we can agree that community@ is not
perfect and I don't subscribe to infrastructure)

> disagree :D. I think "manual namespacing" with long wiki names is more
> of a pain. It's a preference thing.

So how is someinterwikithing:blabla different?  I just want it on a header
somewhere that people can see it, otherwise the wikis won't link at all and
that will suck pretty bad.

Ideally we'd have:

[blabla] == blabla wherever it is found.  If there are TWO blablas then it
would go to a "blabla is here - [cocoon:blabla] and here [tomcat:blabla]"
but if you did [cocoon:blabla] it would link directly to cocoon.  Same deal
as interwiki links but allows crosslinking to be easy while preserving
non-cross linking too.  Not that it is possible.  I just think we're
fragmenting the hell out of everything in general (web pages, wikis, mail
lists, etc) and pretty soon Apache will be a big mess of spaghetti if it
isn't already.  I mean I couldn't begin to explain to someone where to find
something at Apache, I just type the link for them that I've memorized...
Our web information is truly a jumble of mess.  I'm not trying to be
inflammatory if its coming off that way, its just I deal with a lot of
normal people and we get out the message pretty poor because we try and make
the user learn how Apache is organized just to find a webpage.  I guess my
point has degraded...I'll stop.  I just think things should be flatter and
more easily located.  Planet too.

-Andy

> cheers!
>
> - LSD

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.