www-community mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Policy for Jakarta Wiki(s)
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:53:33 GMT
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

>That¹s fine, but the results aren't very useful see this:
>
>http://wiki.apache.org/general/FindPage?action=titlesearch&value=FAQ
>
>This is what I mean (across wikis):
>
>http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?search=FAQ&dosearch=1
>
>The main issue I have with splitting things up are search

nope, definately not the same. But I do suspect that within time, as
the moin wiki actually sees usage (and a better pagerank), the google
search will improve.

I don't think it will be very difficult to add a cross-wiki fulltext search
of our own, but I don't have time to do that atm. Maybe in a week or
two.

>and linkage.

I think this is more of a personal thing :D. I've always liked the Moin
style of linking a lot better.

Alsoa, its all about what links you mean, of course. For example, contrast

http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/FAQ (no, it doesn't exist yet, but it could)

with

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheJ2EE/FAQ

>I have no objections otherwise (supposing someone else has the headache of
>dealing with 100 different wiki configs).

yep. Jason set up a nice little system for that.

>Its unfortunate no wiki supports namespaces of a sort.

+1. No wiki is perfect, which is why there are so many, I guess.

- LSD