www-community mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: What is a member?
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:03:26 GMT
There are many ways membership could be defined ( but it isn't ).

Committers are assigning the (copy)rights of their work to ASF - and as
was mentioned, the members
"own" the code and all the IP of ASF. It would be nice ( and fair !)  to
have the membership based on some
objective criteria on  code and community contributions.

I can't know the exact rules that are used  -  but sometimes it feels a
lot more like membership to a political party. The scary
thing is that some of the answers to "what is a member" ( and I've seen
many of those during the last years ) sound
too much like a certain party  :-).

I would assume most people who choose to give significant amounts of
time and code to ASF are "serious" and serve the interests of the ASF.

Costin