www-community mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject What is a member?
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:47:57 GMT
(moving to community@)

Hi gang!

In the message below, Jim basically says that either a lot
of committers are not 'serious', or that he holds a minority
opinion, or...there is some other reason why there are
dozens of committers (even asf officers) who are not
members. Eh?

I've seen messages like this float around on various
mailing lists for months from various ASF elders, and it
has all become quite confusing.

---

What is an ASF member?

The legal answer is in the bylaws, but the practical answer
which flows from that is not. What does a member do?
What priviledges and responsibilities does a member have?

What characteristics make someone a candidate member
(there's an election every now and then by the current
members, IIUC)? What characteristics make someone 'fail'
candidacy? What's the decision process?

What is discussed on members@, and why is it discussed
there (as opposed to a forum with broader participation)?

---

just some of many questions I believe many of the
'serious' committers-but-not-members all around apache
have. Membership has always been 'shrouded in mystery'
for many, which is, I guess, okay to a point (who am I to
judge? :D), but not when it becomes difficult to make the
right decisions as a 'member' of the/an ASF community
or a PMC.

Thanks for any and all answers!

back to my corner,

- Leo