www-community mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Mailing from apache email address
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:52:29 GMT
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Phil Steitz wrote:
> Nice!  Finally got this to work. It took me a while to realize that you
> really did mean "localhost" on minotaur -- i.e., something like
>
> ssh <username>@cvs.apache.org -L 109:localhost:110 -L 24:localhost:25

Sure.  Though you don't need to use different ports.  This would work
fine:

ssh <username>@cvs.apache.org -L 110:localhost:110 -L 25:localhost:25

Or if you're not able to bind to ports < 1024 because you're on a Unix box
and not running as root,

ssh <username>@cvs.apache.org -L 1110:localhost:110 -L 1025:localhost:25

or something.

Don't ever use @apache.com.  ;)

> I have never used mine and would expect to use it only to subsribe to
> lists such as this, which is in fact what led to this question. I am not
> a PMC or ASF member, so I would never really be in a position to
> officially represent apache.  Is there a policy on this?

Not really, but it has generally appeared to be used rarely; only a few
people I know use that as their primary email identity.  If you're
speaking to others about something Apache-related from your @apache.org
address, it might be a good idea to have a sig that mentions you're not
speaking FOR the ASF, or something.

> I will submit a patch to newbie.faq summarizing responses to this
> question and providing at least linux - mozilla instructions for setting
> up tunnelling, as well as filling in the missing bit on how to set up
> .forward. I assume from the discussion above, however, that tunnelling
> is entirely optional.

Thanks, that would be appreciated.  And yes, if you can successfully set
an arbitrary From: header from your mailer, you don't need to tunnel.
Though, this may change in the future: there is at least one proposal for
an anti-spam technique that would allow us to state that there were only
certain IP addresses that could send mail that claimed to be From:  an
@apache.org address, in an attempt to prevent forged spam.  But I'm sure
the infrastructure team would make a lot of noise before doing that.

	Brian