www-community mailing list archives

From Henning Schmiedehausen <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: Mailing from apache email address
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:10:53 GMT
How about setting up SMTP AUTH over TLS? This is pretty simple (at least
with sendmail) and you don't need to fiddle with SSH for sending mail.

Don't we have a full fledged Java based mail server in the ASF? ;-)
(ducks, runs)

	Regards
		Henning

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 23:25, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Joshua and Joerg said you can just send mail as whomever you like through
> your local SMTP relay; and while that's usually true, some conservative
> sysadmins will only allow relaying through of mail claiming to be from a
> particular sender domain; furthermore it's becoming more common for port
> 25 outgoing to be filtered when coming from "untrusted" networks.
>
> Therefore, you have one other option involving SSH, but allowing you to
> use your local mail client.  Minotaur.apache.org is configured to allow
> SMTP relaying via the localhost interface.  So what you do is set up an
> SSH tunnel that connects your own localhost port X (X can be any value
> above 1024) to minotaur's localhost port 25; then in your mail client
> configuration, you set your SMTP server to be "localhost", port X.  When
> you send a message, your mail client will connect to localhost:X, relayed
> over your SSH connection to localhost:25 on minotaur.  I do this, though
> not with apache.org's server.
>
> In a similar way, you can use the POP service that runs on minotaur's
> localhost interface.  Tunnel to localhost:110.
>
> 	Brian
>
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Phil Steitz wrote:
> > Apologies if the answer to this question is obvious and I have just not
> > stumbled on it; but I am having a hard time "legally" sending mail from
> > my apache email address. Short of logging in to minotaur via ssh and
> > using pine, I know of no authenticated way to do this. I can't seem to
> > connect my Mozilla mail client via SMTP. From the headers on mails from
> > this and other apache lists, it looks like some folks are just modifying
> > the headers.  I can set up my local sendmail to push psteitz@apache.org;
> > but that seems bogus to me.  Even when I send from minotaur, the headers
> > don't look right.  Can someone give me a clue?  What do other people do?
> > Is there a doc on this somewhere?
> >
> > Phil

"Dominate!! Dominate!! Eat your young and aggregate! I have grotty silicon!"
      -- AOL CD when played backwards  (User Friendly - 200-10-15)