www-community mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: The board is not responsible!
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:55:57 GMT
> > > Isn't the ASF Board ultimately responsible
> > This is just wrong.   Responsibility lies with the individual
> > commiters, members, and their associated project PMCs.

> But this seems to have been exactly the problem with the recent
> discussions.  The arguments have been over the use of the
> announce@apache.org mailing list, and there seems to be no PMC
> responsible for that list.

First of all, this is massively out of proportion.  There were a few
comments made by people who felt that an announcement should be e-mailed
instead of the entire newsletter.  That's all.  Contrary to what has been
said, there was no attempt by "The Infrastructure Team" to regulate
anything.  As has been said before, infrastructure implements policy; it
rarely establishes policy.

As for whom should make the policy decision, we are they.  It is a community
decision.  The Members are the ultimate decision-makers, but I think that is
unnecessary for a decision of this nature.  The more that decisions are made
at the Community level, if there is a good consensus, the better.

Everyone agreed that an announcement was fully appropriate.  The question is
whether the entire newsletter, itself, should be e-mailed or just an
announcement.  The reaction has been out of proportion with the event, and
has escalated beyond the point of recognition.

	--- Noel