www-community mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject How to get pgp keys signed
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:52:03 GMT
I assume that people more knowledgeable than I will critique this, but
this works for me...

----

A conference provides a great opportunity to get your pgp key signed
and to sign a the keys of others, but it is just somewhat easier to
assert somebody's identity in person.

A little prep can make all the difference.  Before you go you should
  1) know how to find a key (at the MIT key server for example
http://pgp.mit.edu/ ),
  2) you should have a passing familiarity with the software for
manipulating keys (GPG probably),
  3) you should have a key,
  4) you should have printed up a few dozen scraps of paper with your
key's fingerprint on it.
  5) you should be prepared to capture the fingerprint of other folks
(who didn't come prepared with a scrap of paper)
      so you can sign their keys.

Step #4 is the important one.  That scrap of paper might look like this:

     pub  1024R/187BD68D 1997-09-30 Ben Hyde <bhyde@pobox.com>
           Key fingerprint = 90 AA 4C 16 6C 9D 12 DC  3D 8B 86 E5 0E 33
CE 52

When you encounter folks who might sign your key offer them the scrap
of paper with your finger print on it and ask for one in return.
Always ask to see some official (picture, goverment, etc) ID.  You
might be tempted to ask for official ID only when your less than
absolutely certain that you know who your dealing with.  By always
asking you both set a good precedent and you don't have to be admit
when you are or entirely aren't certain about somebody's identity.
That can be embarrassing.

Later, but soon, you should: (a) find their key, (b) sign it and (c)
upload the result back to the key server you down loaded it from in
step (a).  Your done, your cool.  With luck they will get around to
signing your key at some point too.

Signing a key does not indicate that you "trust" the person.  It only
indicates that you believe that key is associated with the correct
person.  In fact it's valuable to the whole network of signatures if
you sign the keys of members of other communities.  So signing the keys
of near strangers is a good thing.  Just be confident of their identity.

Tricks for slightly improving the efficiency of this:

Since step #4 of the prep work is the important one you can get some
mass production efficiencies.

I) Print the fingerprints of people you expect to encounter:

   It's a pain writing down a fingerprint by hand.   You can avoid that
by printing up a sheet of paper with everybody you hope to meet's
finger print on it.  When you meet them you can then check that they
agree that's their fingerprint.  You then make a mark on your paper and
do your signing later.

II) Make a handout with the fingerprints of attendees printed up on it:

Sometimes people will hand out a paper like that.  Do not sign all the
keys on that paper.  You must assert each identity one at a time.

You don't need a conference to do this.

I carry a few of the #4 scraps of paper in my wallet, but I never
remember to hand them to people when I meet them.  Some people are so
cool they have the finger print printed on their business card; or
stored in their PDA where they can beam it to folks.