www-community mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Inappropriate use of announce@
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:25:09 GMT

El martes, 21 octu, 2003, a las 07:03 Europe/Madrid, Craig R.
McClanahan escribió:

> One of the hardest things for many newcomers to Apache (or other open
> source cultures that operate similarly) is the brusque-sounding tone
> of many comments.  It's not personal -- it's based on a (shared) goal
> to improve things, not necessarily (or even usually) intended to shut
> things down.  There are more than a few times when I've come close to
> saying "to heck with this place" due to criticisms of my actions that
> I took too personally; but not doing so was one of the best things I
> ever avoided doing.

A big +1. I think this is a definite part of Apache's empowerment and
culture acquisition processes.

(both in the harsh criticism trend, by one or the other, every one of
us is in the role at times, and in the sense that we learn that we can
survive to it and fight against it and be actually supported by other
people in the community and succeed and make the world change slightly
;-)

Regards