www-community mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Inappropriate use of announce@
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 05:03:28 GMT
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:02:35 -0400
>(Subject: Re: Inappropriate use of announce@)
>Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com> wrote:
>

>>tetsuya has a lot of energy, and i think we are seeing the common
>>decay into inertia and conservatism common to groups as they grow
>>and age.  imho, we should work against this tendency, and seek to
>>empower people (or at least help them find appropriate ways to
>>use all that energy) rather than stifle them with policies and
>>bureaucracy.
>>

>Thank you :)
>
>The only two ways to avoid bureaucracy are :
>* Accept the difference, heterogeneous ways of thinking
>  with each other (with RESPECT)
>* Invite Innovative-Mind guys/ladies constantly
>
>Innovative (half of the computer engineers have such a mind)
>way of thinking can be easily in opposition to that
>of Conservative. This is explained by the brain
>(In these cases, right-cerebral brain and left-limbic brain) mechanism.
>
>Bureaucracy is highly tied up with left-limbic brain. Also,
>bureaucracy is one of "social-disease"s, which are curable
>by no means. Bureaucrats tend to hide their asses,
>possess the instinct of self-preservation, and highly
>show the self-defense mechanism when
>attacked by innovative (non-conservative, liberal) ones.
># Self-Defense Mechanism can be perceived by very funny
># reactions of the bureaucrats. Very Funny, Indeed.
>The matter is worse, those who are genuine :) bureaucrats can not
>assay themselves as they are suffering from the disease
>of bureaucratism.
>
>This (bureaucracy) can be found here, there, everywhere in japan :)
>Incurable serious disease of the society... As if we are awiting
>the collapse to death of our social system within a few years.
>
>sad.

Tetsuya,

Like many others here, I definitely appreciate your contributions on the
Apache Newsletter.  It has been a task needing to be done, but nobody
previously was willing to put in the energy and enthusiasm you have
shown to actually make it happen.  But I would like to point out
something you *might* not have given enough weight to in your own
thinking -- cultural sensitivity is a two way street.

One of the hardest things for many newcomers to Apache (or other open
source cultures that operate similarly) is the brusque-sounding tone of
many comments.  It's not personal -- it's based on a (shared) goal to
improve things, not necessarily (or even usually) intended to shut
things down.  There are more than a few times when I've come close to
saying "to heck with this place" due to criticisms of my actions that I
took too personally; but not doing so was one of the best things I ever
avoided doing.

Your comment about bureacracy is interesting.  For the first time in my
life, I've spent the last three+ years working for a big company (Sun),
after working for organizations with < 500 employees previously in my
career.  Apache's bureaucracy doesn't hold a candle to Sun's :-).  Nor,
from what I gather, does it compare to most other big organizations
either.  In fact, the real problems I see for Apache are almost the
opposite.  It is the *lack* of a final "authority" making decisions is
what causes most of the conflict I see.

In the case at hand, you ended up reacting to one person's statement.
That person did not speak for the Board or the Members; he spoke for
himself.  I personally doubt if his opinion was, or is, even a majority
view of whatever constituency you consider to be "the Apache
community."  And, the fact that the previous community@apache.org
discussions on this topic did not reach any definite conclusion is a
symptom of the *lack* of an authoritative Apache bureacracy, rather than
evidence that one exists.

But, that's the way it is, and it's not going to change.  Apache is not
like your typical American cultural institution, any more than it's like
your typical Japanese institution.  We all need to learn how to interact
with this strange beast, and make it better all the while.  Your
expecting it to behave in a way that is comfortable to the Japanese
culture would be just as incorrect (and unlikely) as me expecting it to
behave in the American culture that I'm operating in.  It's not going to
happen.

Our choice is to deal with it, or not participate.  I, for one, voted
for "deal with it."  My preference would be that you did so also, but
that's up to you.

>-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

Craig McClanahan