www-community mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: FW: Microsoft's patent loss rattles tech community
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2003 18:20:05 GMT
At 05:47 PM 9/5/2003, David N. Welton wrote:
>"Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com> writes:
>
>> NO ONE should be permitted to have IP rights over public
>> infrastructure standards, except for the body charged with
>> protecting them for the public.  Open Standards must be just that:
>> OPEN.
>
>Oh, I wholeheartedly agree!  I just wanted to point out that these
>guys aren't necessarily a bunch of money-grubbers out to squeeze
>anyone they can get their hands on.

   "<http://www.eolas.com/>Eolas Technologies, a University of California spin-off with
one employee,
   no products, a <http://www.eolas.com/technology.html>handful of patents and 100 investors,
on Monday <http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-5062409.html?tag=nl>prevailed
   in its $521 million patent-infringement suit against Microsoft."

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5063444.html

The question comes down to the one guy and 100 investors (or the majority
shareholders.

Bill