www-community mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: ISO may charge developers to use language and country codes
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:10:35 GMT

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2003JulSep/0213.
> if ISO decides to charge, then will this have an impact on apache products?

In its current for: yes

> if so, is there any action that the ASF can take to influence ISO's
> decision?

You can contact (yes that is phone or letter - no email) your local
representavive:

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/aboutiso/isomembers/MemberList.MemberSummary?MEMBERCODE=10

and politely ask to speak to your countries CPSG representative/contact
(not all countries have one - but some one will be following it as part of
the preparation of the vote at the general assembly). This will generally
be someone on a director level. You generally will get an appointment,
quite easily. Explain that you have a concern with regard to the
'distribution of ISO 3166 country codes, ISO 4217 currency codes, and ISO
639 language codes'. (Make sure you read up on it in detail - the person
will generally be very well briefed - http://www.w3.org/ is a good start -
as is http://www.unicode.org/consortium/utc-positions.html). And take it
from there. Be sure to make clear that the cost recover issue is propably
not a large one in this internet day and age (i.e. in the 100-200k/year)
and that some i18n organiation may well be able to supply one. - And if
you are european and get hold of your rep - do contact me :-) as we may be
able to do something europe wide to make that issue go away.

Dw